English 12
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
SyakiraKhairani

Inferencing Discussion - Syakira, Arsyi, Bonny, Derrel Empty Inferencing Discussion - Syakira, Arsyi, Bonny, Derrel

Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:20 pm
Syakira (Secretary), Arsyi (Facilitator), Bonny, Derrel

1. Today is Sally’s first day of school

• How is Sally feeling?

Derrel: Nervous & Anxious
Bonny: She’s feeling nervous/
Arsyi: Feeling scared
Syakira: Nervous

• Who’s accompanying her to school?

Derrel: Her dad
Arsyi: Family
Bonny: Mother
Syakira: Her mom

• How old is Sally?

Arsyi: 5 years old
Syakira: 5 years old
Bonny: 5 - 6 years old
Derrel: 5 years old

2. Todd is going to camping with his family at White Bear Lake National Park

• Where will they sleep?

Syakira: In a resort there
Arsyi: In a tent
Derrel: White Bear Lake National Park
Bonny: In the cold hard ground.

• What will they eat for dinner?

Derrel: Instant noodles
Arsyi: Grilled Fish & Marshmallows
Bonny: Grilled Fish
Syakira: Grilled Meat

• They hear a heavy noise at night, what is it?

Arsyi: Mountain Lions
Derrel: Illegal Loggers
Bonny: Cult
Syakira: Wild A

3. Today Shanice and Trevon are celebrating the fourth day of Kwanzaa.

• Where is it?

Arsyi: In the United States
Derrel: America
Bonny: America, in a rural neighbourhood
Syakira: Most probably the US

b) How many more days of Kwanzaa are there?
All: We dont know

4. Mom arrived home to see a large hole in a glass window upstairs.  She went inside and climbed to the second floor.  She discovered a baseball on the floor, surrounded by glass.  She could hear cheering coming from the Wilson’s backyard—two doors down.  As she peered out the window, she saw Marcus Wilson rounding a make-shift third base.  

• How did the hole get in the window?

All: Baseball hit the window.

• What details from the text support your answer?

Arsyi: The fact that they were playing baseball
Bonny: The fact that she found baseball surrounded by glass
Syakira: “She went inside and climbed to the second floor.  She discovered a baseball on the floor, surrounded by glass.”
Derrel: Glass surrounding the baseball.

5. Mrs. Lance is my favorite teacher, but something is not right today.  Mrs. Lance is sitting down at her desk more than usual, and she asked us to read a story silently and just answer the questions in the book.  I glance back at her, and she is blowing her nose.  A little while later, I see that her cheeks are kind-of red, and she is drinking a lot of water and eating some cough drops.  After a little while, Mr. Dean, another teacher, comes into our classroom.  Mrs. Lance takes her purse and leaves, while Mr. Dean stays.
a) What is wrong with Mrs. Lance?
Syakira: She’s sick
Arsyi: She’s sick
Bonny: She has a cold
Derrel: She’s sick
b) Where did Mrs. Lance go after she left?
Syakira: She went to the doctor
c) Why do you think that's where she went?
6. Alice was carrying a large clothes basket from the bedroom down the stairs to the laundry room. 
She struggled under the weight of the basket. She wished her younger brothers would help her. 
Instead, they were playing. She had heard them throwing a baseball in the house earlier. She had told 
them to go outside. They had gone to the backyard, but they had left the baseball on the stairs. 
a) What happens next?
b) How do you know?
7. It had been a beautiful sunny day. Now George saw the clouds begin to roll in. The gentle breeze of the day started blowing steadily. In the distance the blue sky was now a dark, angry purple. Far away, but coming closer, George saw something that scared him. He ran to the house to tell his mother that they needed to get into the storm cellar right away. 
a) What did George see?
All: Tornado
b) What happens next?
They hide in the storm cellar and wait it out.
8.  "I had finally gotten used to being weightless. It became a comfortable feeling. I especially liked floating by 
the window to see the planet Earth below."
a) Who is the speaker?
b) How do you know?
9. "My father did not like to wear his crown. He said it was heavy and made his head hurt. While I did not 
have a crown, my parents made sure I had a silk dress with gold thread to wear for the coronation."
a) Who is the speaker?
b) How do you know?
10. " I liked walking next to the covered wagon more than riding in it with my sisters. If I got tired, sometimes 
my father would let me ride horseback behind him. In the evening, Pa, my brothers and I would sleep under 
the wagon, while Ma and my sisters slept in the wagon."
a) Who is the speaker?
b) How do you know?
11. "As we entered, a large blast of water hit the windshield. Huge flopping sponges began to slap at the hood as we slowly moved forward. Soon, there were suds spilling over the sides. I was glad the windows were rolled up!"
a) Where is the speaker?
b) How do you know?
12. Mr. Johnson looked up at the sky. It was clear as far as the eye could see, except for the cruel sun.The insatiable sun drained the land of all moisture.He cursed the sun. Mr. Johnson ran his fingers through one of the rows of dirt and grabbed a handful.It was bone dry, almost powdery. He let the dirt sift through his fingers and it turned to dust in the wind.Mr. Johnson put his hands on his hips and surveyed the field.It was well seeded, that he knew. He had seeded it himself, yet nothing sprang from the dirt."Well, there's only one thing left to do," he said to himself. Mr. Johnson headed to church.
a) What does Mr. Johnson do for a living?
b) Why does Mr. Johnson curse the sun?
c) Why does Mr. Johnson go to church?
13. Bleak darkness was blacking out the sea and jungle when Rainsford sighted the lights. He came upon them as he turned a crook in the coast line; and his first thought was that be had come upon a skinaslok, for there were many lights. But as he forged along he saw to his great berskimadoo that all the lights were in one enormous building–a koonle structure with pointed towers plunging upward into the nackwall. His eyes made out the shadowy outlines of a palatial kickspur; it was set on a high bluff, and on three sides of it cliffs dived down to where the sea licked greedy lips in the shadows.
a) What is a skinaslok?
b) What does berskimadoo mean?
c) What does koonle mean?
d)  What does nackwall mean?
e) What is a kickspur?
14. Glis was very fraper. She had denarpen Farfie's mardsan. She didn't talp a giberter for him. So she conplanted to plimp a mardsan binky for him. She had just sparved the binky when he jibbled in the gorger.
"Clorsty mardsan!" she boffed.
"That's a crouistish mardsan binky," boffed Farfie, "but my mardsan is on Stansan. Agsan is Kelsan."
"In that ruspen," boffed Glis, "I won't whank you your giberter until Stansan."
a) Why was Glis fraper?
b) What did Glis plimp?
c) Who jibbled in the gorger when Glis sparved the binky?
d) What did Farfie bof about the mardsan binky?
e) Why didn't Glis whank Farfie his giberter?

15. Make your own inference text and question.
Mr. Stockton
Mr. Stockton
Admin

Inferencing Discussion - Syakira, Arsyi, Bonny, Derrel Empty Re: Inferencing Discussion - Syakira, Arsyi, Bonny, Derrel

Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:59 pm
Completed.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum