English 12
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Radhiya Nandana

English Etymology and Cognate Poem Empty English Etymology and Cognate Poem

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:19 pm
Name: Radhiya Nandana
Class: English 12
Date: 02/09/2019

Choose any 3 of the following words and explain their etymological origin!
English: The Language of English especially their words root comes from German Languages, from which German and Dutch developed as well as having strong influences from romance language like France.
Bird: There are no origin of the word bird, but the word can be equated to the old English word which is Brid. Brid is originally is the general name for the young of animals.
Indonesia: Early Buddhist and Hindu from India is the one who made many Indonesian words that comes from Sanskrit. Indonesia Language also absorbs word from another language mostly because of trading, colonization, or cultural Influences.

Choose any root word around which you will build a root word/cognate poem!

Life & Time
The first time I see the world
Shining upon me
All of them where there from young to old
Happiness, the real meaning of my life

Time is running so quickly
Like a Superhero
Life it’s my own story
My own Scenario

Hey! I realized something
I’m in High School Teenager
Having anxiety of procrastinating
But I want to become better

When I’m old, getting weaker
I’ll tell my grandson and my granddaughter
Without conflict, life would not be colourful
My Life and Time is beautiful

What is my poem about?
My Poem “Life and Time” is the poem about how time fly so fast. I’m feeling that yesterday I was still in Elementary, playing with all my friends. It was the happiest and most memorable moment in my life that I would never forget. Starting in middle school, I need to adapt to new environment but most of my friends are my friends in Elementary. Now, I just realized that this will be my last year of my High School as 12th Grader which means that life is short and I need to be prepared for my next challenging future.
Mr. Stockton
Mr. Stockton
Admin

English Etymology and Cognate Poem Empty Re: English Etymology and Cognate Poem

Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:26 pm
Complete.

Specifically to the etymology of the word English, its a corruption of the word "Angles" which was one of the Danish tribes who colonized the island of Britain after the Romans withdrew. In deed, the origin of the word "bird" is mysterious. Yes, Indo- is related to India, specifically from the name of a river: the Indus River, that's where the oldest Indian civilization arose, and the -nesia part comes from the Greek word "nesos", which means islands.

Thoughtful poem; time can seem to be rushing by...
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum