English 12
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Nadya Zafira

Thesis in Depth Discussion (AP 2: Nadya, Seno, Merry, Amanda)  Empty Thesis in Depth Discussion (AP 2: Nadya, Seno, Merry, Amanda)

Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:12 pm
GROUP 4
Facilitator: Seno
Secretary: Nadya
Participants: Amanda, Merry, Nadya, Seno

1 -

Seno: Masculinity is now viewed very different in our era.
Merry: These days, men are very confident towards their strengths and so on.
Amanda: Men are more conscious of maleness not as a fact but as a problem.
Nadya: The American conception of masculinity is currently being reconsidered.

2 -

Seno: I think that the second has a stronger thesis statement because it wants to show the dangers of a system that is being run by the wealthy.
Merry: The second one as well because it’s a fact about the Hunger Games and it doesn’t tell who the writer is like the first one.
Amanda: I pick the second one, because when you write a thesis statement, it needs to be something for an argument.
Nadya: I pick the second one because a thesis statement requires subjectivity or a personal opinion that can be debated.

3 -

Seno: Number one because the second is like giving a solution and not really a statement.
Amanda: The first one because it has the opinion.
Merry: Number one, because it’s more like an opinion towards someone.
Nadya: The second one because it delivers the argument clearly in a no-frills manner.

4 -

Seno: Number tow because technical terms need to be used in order for the audience to understand.
Amanda: It’s either the second or the third one.
Merry: Number two is wrong because technical terms is like stating facts.
Nadya: It’s the second one because those technical terms are set in place in order for you to explain your thesis to your audience.

5 -

Seno: True because it’s according to the dictionary, thesis means to set or to put.
Amanda: Same thing, because it’s from Greek and Latin and it means set or put.
Merry: It’s false because it’s weird to me.
Nadya: I would say it’s partially false and partially true because it does mean to set or to put in Greek and Latin, but it has no correlation with poetic and musical terminology as a thesis relates more to the logical sciences.

6 -

Seno: True because I’ve never heard anyone say “thesises.”
Amanda: False because I think thesis has a plural form.
Merry: False because it does have a plural form.
Nadya: True because I’ve never heard of its plural form.

7 -

Seno:  The second one because the first one is like a description. The second one tells about how the director implements that the movie’s taking reference from the novel. 
Amanda: I think that’s second one because it reads more like a thesis than the first one.
Merry: Number two because it reads like a how a thesis statement would start.
Nadya: The second one because it’s easier to argue with than the first one, which sounds more like a statement of fact.

8 -

Seno: Thesis is like a statement that’s going to be backed up by facts while opinion is something that we personally belief in. 
Amanda: An opinion is just an opinion, you just state something that you think. A thesis is something you can argue about and can be supported with facts.
Merry: A thesis is a fact that has a proof. An opinion is from someone’s information.
Nadya: A thesis is a lot more concrete than opinion and needs to be bulked up by evidence to solidify it.

9 -

Seno: Thesis is a statement that we’re giving, a claim is something that we try to focus on within the statement, the argument is the way that we’re going to show our thesis, and a premise is what we conclude from all of this.
Merry: A thesis is a fact, a claim is a statement, an argument is something you debate about, a premise if a conclusion.
Amanda: An argument can be inside of a thesis statement and I don’t know the rest.
Nadya: A thesis is the main thing you’re arguing for, a claim is like a subthesis or smaller-sized theses that supports the main thing, the argument is what goes against your thesis, and a premise is how you approach your argument.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum