English 12
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Evan T.

etymology and cognate poem - Evan Tanurahardja Empty etymology and cognate poem - Evan Tanurahardja

Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:07 pm
ETYMOLOGY AND COGNATE POEM
ENGLISH 12
BY: EVAN SEBASTIAN TANURAHARDJA
30 AUGUST 2019

PART 1 - WORDS ETYMOLOGY ORIGIN

1. three; one more than two
SENTENCE EXPLANATION
The word three comes from the nomative pliral of PIE root of 'trei', as well as many other roots from various part of the world. It is the reason that
the origin can be traced from old English, Proto-Germanic, Saxon, Old Frisian, Middle Dutch, Dutch, Old High German, German, and Old Norse.
No wonder there are so many origin, the modern word 'three' represent number, which is universally important for every part of the continent
for communication as well as calculation process involving numbers. If there were no number three, there will probably be a chaos.

2. indonesia; the east indies
SENTENCE EXPLANATION
The archipelago we now call 'Indonesia' may formerly belongs to India, which explains the plural of Indo- which means
'a belonging of India'. Formerly Indonesia is called 'Indian Archipelago' or 'East Indies Islands'. Also, the root word 'India'
that when combined with Indo- creates Indonesia comes from a greek definition Island. This may be obvious, this archipelago
has thousands of islands yet to be explored...

3. long; having a great linear extent, from end to end, tall, lasting
SENTENCE EXPLANATION
Long is a crucial word in giving the meaning of having a great linear extent, from end to end, tall, and even lasting. This word is very crucial for
communication and have several word origin including 'dlongos', 'langa', and many other from various places. It is known to be developed early in
Proto-Germanic, Old Frisian, Old Saxon, Old High German, German, Old Norse, Middle Dutch, Dutch, and Gothic. Also known in old english 'drawn out in duration'
or english slang 'have a lot'.

PART 2 - POEM

Long does Indonesia gained their independence
In the past,
Three or more country has tried control it forever
They've failed,
Long live Indonesia

PART 3 - BRIEF ANALYSIS

Basically the poem is about Indonesia independence. Indonesia is a very valuable country, everyone wants to rule it so badly using weapons
and armies. But Indonesian has prevailed, they fight. They finally won. I said long live Indonesia as I believe that the future of Indonesia
will be positive. Since independence, Indonesia has improved a lot from their mistakes. There do several problems that still happens until now,
such as corruption, but the government are doing their best at oppressing corruptors. We fight.
The root words basically help me in creating meaning for the poem.
The word 'three' symbolizes quantity, showing that in fact many country wants to control Indonesia
The word 'indonesia' symbolizes the main idea, about my nation
The word 'long' symbolizes time, which shows that Indonesia has passed the time of no control of it's own land.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum