English 12
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Arjuna.R.Joyosumarto
Arjuna.R.Joyosumarto

Irony - Juna (12 F)  Empty Irony - Juna (12 F)

Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:12 pm
1. Top 5 Jokes

When I found out that my toaster wasn't waterproof, I was shocked.

Reason: The idea of this joke is that a toaster is made of an item powered by electricity, and ofcourse a dynamic happened between the lightning and water when it occurs to each other. Usually when an electrical item was splashed by water, the electrical devices goes hazard. You get the feeling of being shocked when you touch electricity, that's what the guy in the joke is feeling when he touched his/her toaster while it was being splashed by water.

Whatever you do always give 100 %. Unless you are donating blood.

Reason: It's also a moral that whatever you share, you share equally. If you're going to give bread to someone, make sure that the bread is in good condition and in a whole of the item itself. With this joke, it tells you that you're gonna give someone in a full form, but donating blood is different. If you donate your whole blood then you die, that's the dark twist that could be learned from the joke.

Girl you're like a car accident, cause I just can't look away.

Reason: The idea of this flirt is that you're relating someone beautiful you can't stop gazing at with something dangerous.If you look away when you drive, the accident happens. If you're looking at someone beautiful, that's when the distraction happens, especially with driving.

Yesterday, I fell down from a 10 meter ladder. Thank God I was on the third step.

Reason: The joke seems to question us whether he/she did survive the fall or not. The information we know is that the ladder is 10 meters, and he/she was on the third step. Meaning that when he/she fall, he/she survived and is not injured from the fall. Lucky him/her..

I asked my wife what she wanted for Christmas. She told me "Nothing would make her happier than a diamond necklace" So I bought her nothing.

Reason: Ever heard of the song "Diamond is a girl's best friend" by Marilyn Monroe? Well here's a tip for all the husband's out there who has a wife obsessive to jewellery. The idea of the sentence was you catch "Nothing would make her happier" and only that part is the only thing you catch. "...than a diamond necklace" should oppose the first part you catch, so you could play dumb with your wife and save money. Now that's a good strategy.

There are many jokes on the list that are also funny, but they're also too dark, and heck one of them is a Joker reference. But I do enjoy the jokes that are not on the Top 5 list, while the ones I highlight are the ones that I can analyse and explain.

2. Ironic Extensions

a) The passion for revenge is strong and sometimes almost overwhelming. But our intuitive logic about revenge is often twisted, conflicted, parochial, and dangerous. Revenge is a primitive, destructive, and violent response to anger, injury, or humiliation. It is a misguided attempt to transform shame into pride. Many governments, religions, traditions, and cultures provide guidance on when revenge may and may not be sought. Unfortunately this guidance is often unsatisfactory because it excludes groups of people, often mistreats women, generally leads to escalation, is unevenly applied, and typically leads to prolonged and escalated violence. Choose another path. Oh wait, here's another choice: an ongoing war till the death of your life.

b) Certainly, there are cultures that believe that punishing offenders -- through fines, beatings, incarceration, or worse -- are perfectly acceptable forms of setting things to rights. In fact, in Albania, for example, there is a long and formal tradition of "blood-feuding" that prescribes exactly the types of revenge that are appropriate or inappropriate in certain situations. When a government meets out a punishment we call it justice but when the victim, or a person close to the victim, does the punishing we think of it as revenge and brand it as vigilantism, and we don't consider ourselves as hypocrisy for that. Although vigilantism has something of a bad reputation it hints at a very natural human urge: the need to get back at people. Maslow didn't mention this in his hierarchy of motivations but it is as fundamental to our nature as thirst. If you don't believe me then just recall the last time you played out an argument with someone in your head, reveling in your own best barbs, strongest counter-arguments and ultimate victory.

c) Revenge isn't a 'black and white' thing, but it depends on the circumstances. Sometimes it's better to forgive, but I'd say it's generally right to seek vengeance if the wrong committed was heinous enough. (That doesn't make you the bad guy, right?) In my opinion, 'righteous revenge' (similar to righteous indignation, one of Aristotle's virtues) is virtually synonymous with punishment. Put simply, if based on 'righteous' indignation revenge is right.  Some say revenge/punishment doesn't make you feel better and it's frequently depicted as such in the media (movies, books, etc) but personally if it was justified it DOES make you feel better and lets you rest easier that such a sin has been punished.

d) "Revenge is a dish best served cold." I believe revenge is justified (and there's nothing bad about giving a man hard pain) as long as you serve justice. For example, if someone punches you, you punch back, that is justice or how I see it an even trade. If you need to look at it like karma, what comes around goes around or like the oldest quote in life "an eye for an eye a tooth for a tooth." Now if we would debate if you will feel better after revenge, well that is another topic for another day, but it is indeed justice.

Well, I sucked at this.

3. Ironic Experience
Couldn't think of anything Ironic happening in my life right now (especially with making Irony jokes) but here's one that could be familiar. It was in January 2016 when me and my family spend the vacation at Lampung. My Dad told me that we're going to see plenty of big Elephants today, so we travelled far to see the Elephants. But when we arrived at the place, we only see three elephants. The place was big and opened, I expected that I see more but there are only three. Not to mention, what makes it Ironic is that I travelled 300 miles for 3 hours only to see 3 Elephants. So 1 hour = 1 Elephants, now that's a bummer isn't it?

4. Ironic Thoughts
We live in a world where good and evil exist, therefore we are divided by the paths that we choose to do, whether it's justice or crime. The point is that revenge can be justified by how much the anger has been  contained by the victim and decides to payback with a much more deadlier weapon. The fact that doing revenge on each other is like an ongoing war, there's no point on hating each other if all you do is hate people. Some people use the term "Revenge" to payback with the attacker has done to them, but some people (like me) recommend and demand peace rather than war or hatred. There's no point on hating people if the person never done anything bad to you, it doesn't make sense if you do that, and this may be a lesson for one of the students in the (non-AP) English class. "I seek but one thing, forgiveness" this something I want to address to the people who I've make mistakes with, and this is what people should do instead of making me a victim who wants revenge and start a war on them. I can't be forgiven if I never do anything bad to them, that means that I've been forgiven and is considered to be innocent.

Somehow I did a mistake to a teacher, and I'm trying to get my teacher back to think positive about me instead of the negative side, because there's no purpose of thinking bad about someone who has never done something very bad towards you. Something ironic for a thought I have is that I once had a class with my teacher where she told me to make a campaign and upload it to social media, now I'm doing the opposite where I use the things she has thought and build a campaign on her to get my teacher the old way she used to interact towards me. I know this may sound personal, but it's also something I have in mind I can do that's worth the shot, and it's not bad thing at all but it's a pretty good example about irony and forgiveness.  Therefore instead of doing revenge, I'd do peace just like what my purpose has told me. Because I can't be a bad guy if I've never done something bad, and I can't get revenge on someone who has never done anything bad to me. I forgive people who has never done anything bad to me, and there's no need to ask for an apology to someone you've never sin on before.

Last edited by Arjuna.R.Joyosumarto on Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:43 am; edited 6 times in total
Mr. Stockton
Mr. Stockton
Admin

Irony - Juna (12 F)  Empty Re: Irony - Juna (12 F)

Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:18 pm
Let me know if you get through the last bit...
Arjuna.R.Joyosumarto
Arjuna.R.Joyosumarto

Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:13 am
Should be done already, now you can check.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum