English 12
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Mr. Stockton
Mr. Stockton
Admin

Irony Empty Irony

Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:10 pm
Irony

Irony Closed10

Irony, is a rhetorical device, or actual event, in which what appears on the surface to be the case, differs radically from what is actually the case.  Examples include sarcasm, understatement, the result differing from the intention, hyperbole, double meanings, asymmetrical knowledge, and so on.

1. Read the ironic jokes below.  Choose the five funniest ones.  Explain their meaning, and what is ironic about them.

a) My dad died when we couldn't remember his blood type. As he died, he kept insisting for us to "be positive," but it's hard without him.

b) I think my neighbor is stalking me as she's been googling my name on her computer. I saw it through my telescope last night.

c) I hate people who use big words just to make themselves look perspicacious.

d) I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

e) People used to laugh at me when I would say "I want to be a comedian", well nobody's laughing now.

f) I asked my wife what she wanted for Christmas. She told me "Nothing would make her happier than a diamond necklace" So I bought her nothing.

g) Girl you're like a car accident, cause I just can't look away.

h) Strong people don't put others down. They lift them up and slam them on the ground for maximum damage.

i) Whatever you do always give 100 %. Unless you are donating blood.

j) When I found out that my toaster wasn't waterproof, I was shocked.

k) Yesterday, I fell down from a 10 meter ladder. Thank God I was on the third step.

l) My aunt's star sign was cancer, pretty ironic how she died. She was eaten by a giant crab.

m) It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

2. Look at the rather straightforward arguments below, then find a way to insert irony into them.  Underline the ironic changes you have made.

a) The passion for revenge is strong and sometimes almost overwhelming. But our intuitive logic about revenge is often twisted, conflicted, parochial, and dangerous. Revenge is a primitive, destructive, and violent response to anger, injury, or humiliation. It is a misguided attempt to transform shame into pride. Many governments, religions, traditions, and cultures provide guidance on when revenge may and may not be sought. Unfortunately this guidance is often unsatisfactory because it excludes groups of people, often mistreats women, generally leads to escalation, is unevenly applied, and typically leads to prolonged and escalated violence. Choose another path.

b) Certainly, there are cultures that believe that punishing offenders -- through fines, beatings, incarceration, or worse -- are perfectly acceptable forms of setting things to rights. In fact, in Albania, for example, there is a long and formal tradition of "blood-feuding" that prescribes exactly the types of revenge that are appropriate or inappropriate in certain situations. When a government meets out a punishment we call it justice but when the victim, or a person close to the victim, does the punishing we think of it as revenge and brand it as vigilantism. Although vigilantism has something of a bad reputation it hints at a very natural human urge: the need to get back at people. Maslow didn't mention this in his hierarchy of motivations but it is as fundamental to our nature as thirst. If you don't believe me then just recall the last time you played out an argument with someone in your head, reveling in your own best barbs, strongest counter-arguments and ultimate victory.

c) Revenge isn't a 'black and white' thing, but it depends on the circumstances. Sometimes it's better to forgive, but I'd say it's generally right to seek vengeance if the wrong committed was heinous enough. In my opinion, 'righteous revenge' (similar to righteous indignation, one of Aristotle's virtues) is virtually synonymous with punishment. Put simply, if based on 'righteous' indignation revenge is right.  Some say revenge/punishment doesn't make you feel better and it's frequently depicted as such in the media (movies, books, etc) but personally if it was justified it DOES make you feel better and lets you rest easier that such a sin has been punished.

d) "Revenge is a dish best served cold." I believe revenge is justified as long as you serve justice. For example, if someone punches you, you punch back, that is justice or how I see it an even trade. If you need to look at it like karma, what comes around goes around or like the oldest quote in life "an eye for an eye a tooth for a tooth." Now if we would debate if you will feel better after revenge, well that is another topic for another day, but it is indeed justice.

3.  Think of something ironic that you have seen or that has happened to you.  Relate your experience and explain what was ironic about it. (~50 words)

4.  Use an ironic experience you have had, or can imagine, or ironic word-play, to draft a short argument (~100 words), complete with a thesis statement and evidence and/or reasons, explaining why revenge is justified, or instead, why we should practice forgiveness.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum