English 12
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Mr. Stockton
Mr. Stockton
Admin

Independent and dependent clauses Empty Independent and dependent clauses

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:12 am
Independent and dependent clauses

Independent and dependent clauses Cafe10

Most simply, an independent clause can form a complete sentence on its own and a dependent clause cannot.  You can even join two independent clauses, as long as you use proper punctuation and/or a coordinating conjunction. But you can’t stick two dependent clauses together and expect to form a sentence.  Simple enough, right?

Examples:

• Independent clause:
The coffee was brewing.

• Dependent clause:
...you’ve been waiting for all day.

• Independent clauses joined:
The coffee was brewing because it was after-dinner service.

• A dependent clause joined to an independent clause:
The coffee was brewing that you’ve been waiting for all day.

1.  Form small groups (~3).  What is a clause?  Chose your own original metaphor that could illustrate how independent and dependent clauses can be fit together.  There is information about this grammar topic on many sites, like link, link, or link.  (This grammar topic is also sometimes called: complex and compound.) Present your metaphor to the class. 

Example:
Independent and dependent clauses Coffee10

2. Decide if the clauses below are independent clauses, dependent clauses, or some mixture of the two.  Devise a code to tag them, such as IC, ICDC, ID, II, I2D, or as you otherwise find satisfying, or sort them into a table you design.

a) Paris has excellent art museums.

b) We finished our homework and cleaned up the kitchen.

c) Although it was cold and wind yesterday.

d) It rained.

e) I will be happy if I win the lottery.

f) Because our school throws away so much paper, we should start a recycling program.

g) My house is white and it has green shutters which blow wide opened on windy days.

h) After we finished our homework and cleaned up the kitchen.

i) I will get to watch television, but first, I have to clean up the dishes after we finish eating.

j) Let’s start the music.

k) Though Mitchell prefers watching romantic films, he rented the latest spy thriller,  and he enjoyed it very much.  

l)  I become moody and depressed.

m) The dog started barking so the cat ran away and I couldn’t keep up, so I stopped.

n) After the dance ended, we went home and ate a pizza.

Any common file type that you found suitable is acceptable, be sure both parts are submitted, and the names of your group members are on the document, together with a rough estimate of the percent of the workload each group member contributed.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum