English 12
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Evan T.

contextualization and text annotation  Empty contextualization and text annotation

Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:03 am
I don't know where to post, sorry if I post in the wrong page.

link to my document:
https://1drv.ms/w/s!Ao66nIaJypkyhws9tdBIR3S381ZP
Mr. Stockton
Mr. Stockton
Admin

contextualization and text annotation  Empty Re: contextualization and text annotation

Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:47 am
Interesting read. This stuff:

The creator of the poem Henry Scott Holland (27 January 1847 – 17 March 1918), he was a Regius Professor of Divinity at the University of Oxford, and also a canon of Christ Churc
-- can be omitted because it is just ripped from Wikipedia, and because we don't know or care what a "Regius Professor" or a "canon" is, or what connection that has to the poem: it would do well enough just say he was a professor of religion and a church figure, both of which are relevant to the poem, as you say, since the topic is effectively religious: death.

Your analysis of what if the poem were written as a ballad or using rhymes is insightful, I thought that interesting.

I might add myself that I think there is an implication of something like eternal life in the poem, which might be expected from a religious person like Scott-Holland. Him say repeatedly that after death he is still there reminds me of the mystic guru Ramana Mahashi when he is nearing death he said, ""You say I am going away, but where can I go? I am always here."
Evan T.

contextualization and text annotation  Empty Summary of Contextualization edited

Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:36 pm
Summary of Contextualization:
The creator of the poem Henry Scott Holland (27 January 1847 – 17 March 1918), he used to work as a Professor in Oxford University (which is one of the reason the poem he wrotes is interconnected with some deep philosophy). His nationality is British and are the son of George Henry Holland (1818-1891), and has gotten several degrees from the university including DD (Doctors of Divinity), MA (Master of Arts), and Honorary DLitt (Doctor of Letters).
This poem is created and read following the Death of King Edward VII (around May 1910).
The poem basically implies that death should not be taken seriously, and that we should not let the feeling of losing the loved ones effects us adversely. Usually, this poem is read in the event of funeral, as the wording used in the poem is calming. The type of the poem is elegy, as from the beginning to the end of the poem it tells about death.
If the poem is told in other forms, such as Ballad, the meaning will be different. Poem related to death cannot be really expressed with narration, but instead, feeling using poetic words that represents the thought of the mind. Or if the poem type contains rule such as rhyme, length, and syllables, the author ability to express feeling is restricted.
Different from other poems, this poem does not have real settings, but imaginary which is inside the author’s mind. In some part of the poem, the author is trying to recall past experience with someone he loved that is now lost. The character in this poem, other than the author is unclear, as ‘somebody the author loved’ could be anyone.
If I have a chance to meet the poet who writes this masterpiece, I would like to ask ‘How can you let go someone you cared and still feel like nothing has happened?’. It is a challenge to let go of someone we have spend time for a long time. Even when they are simply sick, we feel sad about that, trying to emphatize. But death... They are lost forever.
I now know that the author has a strong mind, to let go of someone, in the mean time remembering beautiful memories and trying to act like nothing has happened before, in sense to not let the dead of someone we love causes adverse effect to ourselves.. This poem is a very good poem, it is a calming one. I may even read this poem at a real funeral, one day...
Sponsored content

contextualization and text annotation  Empty Re: contextualization and text annotation

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum