English 12
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
ashana zahra

Connotative and denotative meaning and diction  Empty Connotative and denotative meaning and diction

Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:22 pm
a) The house was on the hill.

Positive: The estate was on the hill

Negative: The shack was on the hill

b) Billy went to a foreign country.

Positive: Billy went to a new country.

Negative: Billy went to an unknown country

c) The class started at 7 AM, John was delayed.

Positive: The class started at 7 AM, John was held up.

Negative: The class started at 7 AM, John was tardy.

d) The new girl in school was chubby.

Positive: The new girl in school was plump

Negative: The new girl in school was fat

e) His ways of thinking are unique.

Positive: His ways of thinking is special

Negative: His ways of thinkis is weird

f) The girl's face showed a smile.

Positive: The girl's face showed a grin

Negative: The girl's face showed a sneer.

g) Billy killed the old dog.

Positive: Billy youthinized the old dog

Negative: Billy slaughtered the olf dog

h) The meal was served at 6:30 PM sharp.

Positive: The menu was served at 6:30 PM sharp

Negative: The grub was served at 6:30 PM sharp.

i) The handsome boy looked at the young girl.

Positive: the handsome boy gazed at the young girl

Negative: the handsome boy scrutinized the young girl

j) The small woman was able to fit into the secret passage.

Positive: The lean woman was able to fit into the secret passage

Negative: The pint-sized woman was able to fit into the secret passage

k) I bought the inexpensive one.

Positive: I bought the affordable one

Negative: I bought the cheap one.

l) They all laughed at me.

Positive: They all chuckled at me

Negative: They all scoffed at me

m) I can hear the sound of the neighbor's music.

Positive: I can hear the melody of the neighbors music

Negative: I can hear the noise of the neighbor's music

n) The Smith's house was clean.

Positive: The smith's house was crisp

Negative: The smith's house was decontaminated

o) The temperature is cold today.

Positive: The temperature is cilly today

Negative: The temperature is frigid today

p) The boy held the rabbit firmly.

Positive: The boy held the rabbit steady

Negative: The boy held the rabbit vigorously.

2. Rewrite the following descriptive paragraphs by adding adjectives or changing out words for ones with richer connotations. Make one version in which the tone is warm and joyous; and in the other paragraph, the tone is sinister and ghoulish.

Connotative & denotative meaning, & diction House_10

A small house stands in a forested valley. Two men hold axes. Smoke is rising from the chimney of the house. There is a smell coming from the house. A few clouds hang in the sky and birds circle in the sky above the house. A girl comes out of the small house.

Paragraph A:

A little home stands in a forested valley. Two nice men hold twillbills. Puffy clouds are rising from the chimney of the house. There is a fragrance coming from the house. A few clouds painted the sky and the birds chirping over the house. A girl comes out of her little home.

Paragraph B:

A cramped shack stands in a forested valley. Two men hold hatchets. Smoke arise from the smokestack of the shack. A horrible reek came from the house. A few thunderclouds dotted the sky and the vultures circled the sky above the shack. A girl comes out of the cramped shack.

3. The thesis of the article linked below is that teen depression is caused by cellphone use. The more phone related activities a teen is involved with, the more unhappy he or she is; the more real-world activities involving other people a teen participates in, the happier he or she is.

Use three pieces of evidence from the article to write an argument reversing the thesis: gadgets are associated with teenage happiness. Use tone and diction to present cellphones as good things.

Connotative & denotative meaning, & diction Extern10

Twenge, Jean M. “What Makes Teens Happier Hint: It Doesn't Involve Their Phones.” Psychology Today, 31 Aug. 2018, https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/our-changing-culture/201808/what-makes-teens-happier .

1.Teens who spend hours listening to music are often shutting out the world, effectively isolating themselves in a cocoon of sound.

Teens who use their time listening to and admiring music often create personal space from the world, giving time to themselves to think and feel through the music.

2. Instead, it often means a teen who has shut himself in his room or used her earbuds as an armor against social interaction.

It often means that a teen who excuses himself into his room or listens to music as an escape and theraphy from social matters.

3. Unfortunately, today's teens sleep less than teens once did, possibly due to spending more time on their phones and other devices.

Teens are using time before they sleep to interact with people and have therapeutic music pleaying to sleep better.
Mr. Stockton
Mr. Stockton
Admin

Connotative and denotative meaning and diction  Empty Re: Connotative and denotative meaning and diction

Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:56 am
Looks well done.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum