English 12
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Ristygusti

AUDIENCE: BELIEFS, VALUES, & NEEDS (Widowati Ristyaqilah - period 2) Empty AUDIENCE: BELIEFS, VALUES, & NEEDS (Widowati Ristyaqilah - period 2)

Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:15 pm
AUDIENCE: BELIEFS, VALUES, & NEEDS
30 August 2019
W. Ristyaqilah Gusti  12d

2. Write a brief summary of the argument; consider thesis, evidence, justifications. 50 - 100 words.
Based on the article I choose, Mysterious “Devil’s Letter” Decoded, the article is stating about a recent discovery of a hidden devil’s letter that has been a secret for over 300 years. After attempting to decode the letter for ages, a recent breakthrough had been made, using advanced technological decoder with an algorithm that was bought and could only be found in the ‘dark web’. Although some people still speculate the existence of the dark web, this source/secret platform is very much real, and could be used by people with special authorization. From the “decoder” it is found out that the nun who was writing it, claims to be possessed by a devil, stated by other nuns in her coven. However, the statement from the letter, was claimed to be written by devil itself, by whispering to the nun. In the letter, it is said claiming and clarifying statements such as, “God wish to control human beings, this idea is impossible”. Whether or not the “devil” is trying to mock God, is unknown. However, in the letter, it mentioned a few things about the relationship between mortals, god, and the devil itself. Personally, I am not 100% sure whether or not the statements made/written in the letter is a reliable source, due to the time frame/period of this letter. Considering it was made in the 16thcentury, it is unknown to my knowledge if the nun who writes the letter, has a “gift”. Adding to that, since the discovery hasn’t been made and told into the public, I couldn't give my full opinion due to lack of knowledge/exposure. Aside from that, there isn’t any evidence whether or not the nun is “possessed” but rather to opinions and claims that she was possessed, and no one could confirm whether or not the claim is true. In conclusion, I am not sure whether or not the letter is reliable because I do not know the full statement of it, however, there are some parts of the letter (based on the decoder), that states things that mortals/human are unknown to. Especially, considering, that it was made in the 16thcentury, and the lack exposure of philanthropist/ideologies. To that, I believe whatever the letter contains, it is best to remain a secret

3. Evaluate the strengths or weaknesses of at least one of the claims in the article. 25 - 50 words.
Looking back at the article, it claimed that the letter was made by the devil itself, because no mortal/human would have the idea to write about the demonic claims it said to made. Also, considering the claims made by the nuns that's share the same coven by the “possessed” nun. Seeing its benefits/strength into believing that it is made by the devil is if we see the exposure/condition that is happening in the area at that time. Considering it is a coven, it is said to be a sacred place, and (to my knowledge), there isn’t a lot of nuns/coven that is introduced to the devil’s thought and also the idea to defy the acts of god. Because of that, there could be the possibility of the letter to be written by the “possessed demon”. However, considering that, we decode the letter 300 years later, using a technological item. We couldn’t be 100% sure if the technology used, is what the letter truly said. At the end of the day, the only one who knows the letter is the author/nun itself. 

4. Evaluate the beliefs, values, and needs of the likely audience of your article. 100 - 150 words. You may use the reflection questions below to aid your assessment.
I believe that the author would like to target his/her audience towards, groups of mysterious fanatic, or even college boards/teachers/philanthropist that often argue the existence of the devil. I believe so, because of my own experience. When I was tasked to this project/work, I was given a list of articles I can read from, to my surprise, I choose this article. Not only because the title intrigues me, but also because, I am really interested to the unknown things/topic. Especially if there’s a horror/supernatural thing into the topic. So, based on my own experience, I believe that the audience are for people like me/ people that are interested into the supernatural. Aside from that, I also believe that the author would also say and tell the world, that had decoded an “artifact” of time, that has been a mystery for over 300 years, being able to state to the world, that with recent technology, were able to decode this item. The readers are approximately around the late teenagers up to adults. Not only that people in that age has interest for things that are unknown, but also article like this, tend to fulfill our own thoughts. 
Both women and men are able to read the article, it all most likely depend on what type of person they are, whether or not they like horror/mysteries. Due to some people gets easily scared with topic about the unknown, so it doesn't determine gender when wanting to read this article.
When wanting to read these types of articles, the reader doesn’t need any academic educational background, but rather leaning towards research. Considering this topic is about the supernatural, it would become such a shock towards people that has no background/idea about the supernatural/horror topics. However, if a reader has no background or information about topics like this one. It would be okay, and it wouldn't affect anything, however it could be much harder for them to read the article without being to acknowledge the condition of it. 
The whereabouts of audience/reader lives, doesn't affect them reading this article, however, it is preferable that the audience might live in the city areas, because people who lives in the city tend to care and is easily curious about these kinds of topic, because people whole lives in the city, tend to be more open and an easy access about the supernatural beings/incidents. Most of it might occur in the city or outside of it, however the scientific reason/conclusions could be easily determined if the reader lives in the city. The audience could also read it at home/bus/salon/etc. It is not really recommended if the person were to read the article at work, because it is best that the reader remain focus when doing their work, rather than to wonder around and do other things. It would be best if the reader doesn't get easily scared, because the article might be considered “scary” for some people, even if that's not the case for me. It would be better if the reader reads the article during day time or when there is light, not only to help their “eye sight”, but also, during day time it is more calming when compared to night time. 
Mr. Stockton
Mr. Stockton
Admin

AUDIENCE: BELIEFS, VALUES, & NEEDS (Widowati Ristyaqilah - period 2) Empty Re: AUDIENCE: BELIEFS, VALUES, & NEEDS (Widowati Ristyaqilah - period 2)

Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:07 am
That is a very extensive response!

You have written at least double what is required, not sure that that can be criticized as it shows effort and engagement, though it does in fact not follow the task description...
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum